Renting FAQ


While the documentation you receive at the beginning of a tenancy can vary from state to state, you will find there a number of items that are required across most jurisdictions. These include a copy of the tenancy agreement, information about renting in your state, a copy of the bond lodgement form and the condition report, which is to be completed, signed and returned to your property manager within the required time frame. You may also receive a receipt for the initial rent amount, lease fees and bond payment, as well as copies of keys, swipes and any remote controls.

You will find details of the expiry date in your lease agreement. Your property manager will usually contact you around 8 week prior to this expiry date seeking you end of lease intentions. You are welcome to request a lease renewal at the owner’s approval. The owner of the property has the right to renew the lease, let arrangements continue under the terms of the original lease or issue the appropriate notice requesting that you vacate the property. It is important for you to discuss whether or not you want to continue living in the property with your property manager well before the expiry date of your lease, which allows everyone to make the necessary plans and arrangements.

There are a number of different scenarios that can occur if the owner decides to sell – these can depend on the expiry and terms of your lease agreement. For example, if you are within the term of your lease agreement and the property is sold to another investor, you continue to have your rights to the property as a tenant when the new owner assumes the responsibility as your landlord. If the property is sold to someone who wishes to live there, you will be given notice to vacate – this will usually give you plenty of time to arrange your next property. As an existing tenant, your song properties agent is perfectly-placed to help you find another rental property that suits your budget and preferences.

Before you make any alternations or additions to your rental property – including picture hooks – you should contact your property manager. It is wise to do this in writing, specifying exactly where you want the picture hooks to be placed.

You need to advise your property manager of all requests for maintenance or repairs, preferably in writing. Maintenance forms for this purpose are often provided when you first move into the property, otherwise you can find the request for maintenance on our website, under current tenant. It is essential that you do not attempt to repair things yourself – you have a responsibility to advise your property manager of maintenance matters that require attention. Your lease will include provisions for how you should handle repairs or maintenance requests.

Generally, emergency repairs are required when the occupants’ health and safety – or the property itself – is threatened. You should urgently try to contact your property manager or (depending on the property itself) the onsite caretaker and ensure you give them the opportunity to arrange for the emergency repairs, as long as they are completed in the most urgent and expedient manner.

When you first move in to your property, you will be given a booklet stating the rules, your rights and legislation for your state. If you are unable to find the information you are looking for you should be able to find most of the general information you need online from various local and state authorities.

It is essential for you to contact the property manager directly and as soon as you are aware there will be a problem paying your rent. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away – and you may find that you are able to come to an understanding with your property manager if your inability to pay rent is only temporary. Communication is essential in these circumstances and it is important for you to continue to keep all parties informed of your circumstances.